Monday 26 November 2012

How my music promo has changed from my storyboard

The first 27 seconds of my music promo is how I planned it to look in my storyboard, starting off with a close up and then moving out into a medium shot and then finally a long shot to show the road so that the lyrics link with the visuals.

For the chorus, I completley changed the camera angle from a medium shot of her standing still to a long shot with her walking towards the camera. I felt this worked better because I didn't want my chorus to be the same as the rest of the song because it would have made my music promo look quite boring. I also felt the chorus needed some movement because it was a slightly faster pace than the rest of the song. However after doing my first draft, I realised that I didn't like how far back the artist was because you couldn't see her very well and therefore was not very effective. Due to this issue, I decided to change my chorus to have her in different locations in different outfits to provide a contrast between the chorus and the rest of the song. I feel that the more frequent short takes during the chorus work well because it matches the faster pace of the chorus. The different locations make it more interesting to watch because it isn't her just standing there singing in the same location which is what my storyboard looks like. For the end of the chorus 'trying to find a place in this world' I said in my storyboard that I would have her lift her arms, which is what I did in my music promo. I felt this looked effective in my promo and I chose to keep it because again it was linking in visuals with the lyrics.

In my storyboard, I didn't take into account the instrumental bits and thought that I could just have her standing there and not singing. However, I realised this would be quite boring so I thought I could incorporate a guitar within the promo and have her playing it. I really like her playing the guitar and I think it was a good idea because it is different from the rest of the video and works well with the country- pop genre I am going for.

Similarly I said that I would have my artist sitting on the window sill for one of the verses with the radio playing like it says in the lyrics. I filmed this and realised it worked well within the rest of my video so implemented it into my final promo. Although I didn't have the radio in the background because I didn't want it too look to set up and cheesy.

For the verse starting at 1.12, I again was just going to have her standing there singing in the woods but when it came to filming we found a bench within the woods, which I felt was suitable to use in my promo because it still linked in with the style but made it clear that it was a different verse within the song. The last chorus starting at 1.50, was going to have a lake in the background when I was creating the storyboard and she would be facing the camera and singing. I used this idea when filming about having a lake involved but adapted it slightly and had her singing whilst looking at the camera and walking away from it towards the lake and then looking out on the lake. This is one of my favourite shots because the lake looks good and the misty feel gives it a nice wintery effect, which links with the clothing I chose for my artist to wear.

The last chorus is different to the other chorus' because I didn't want it to be too repetitive. I chose to have her sitting in the cafe were she was in the flasbacks in the previous chorus, but this time she is actually singing in the cafe. The last part of the song consists of a couple different flashbacks which were not used in the first part of the video, but were in the same location, again linking all of the shots and locations together in order to show her journey. I didn't plan for the part where she throws the leaves in the air for the 'Oh I'm alone bit' but once I watched it I felt this looked really good in the video because it flashes back to the woods location just before the song ends. Finally, I said that I would end up with a close up like the beginning which I did do because I wanted to show that her journey had come to an end and emphasise the narrative style of video I created.

No comments:

Post a Comment