Friday 30 November 2012

Evaluation: Question 1 Planning


Question 1. In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?



Overall I feel my music promo mostly follows the codes and conventions of a music video due to the various camera shots, editing techniques, costumes, props and location. My music promo fits into the category of narrative but also performance in a small part of my promo. Therefore, I am following a code and convention of music promos. The camera shots such as close up, mid shots, long shots and establishing shots all used for various reasons again show that I follow the codes and conventions of a music promo.

Alot of my editing techniques included cross- dissolves and fade in/outs. This again shows that my music promo follows the codes and conventions because these are the most popular editing techniques used within music videos. Although, I also used additive dissolves and lunar transitions which make the promo more unique because these are less common transitions to use and you don't see them very often in music videos, meaning the codes and conventions are challenged slightly.

The costume and props helped me to follow the codes and conventions of a music promo because I knew it was important for my artist to be dressed in clothes which fit the style and genre of the song, which is what all music videos do. The guitar which I use may challenge the codes and conventions because it is not very common to see a guitar in recent music videos, and are mostly used in live videos rather than recorded, however instruments such as the piano in Bruno Mars's video for Just the way you are, are a popular choice.

I used '9 frames' to aid me in answering this question because I felt it was quite a creative way to express my points and answer the question. I then thought it would be useful to do another 9 frames for an already existing music video from Taylor Swift, so I could compare and see if I used the appropriate codes and conventions in my music video.





No comments:

Post a Comment